Primary auxiliariesBe, do, have and their various forms are called primary auxiliaries.
Be is used with other verbs to make progressive and passive verbs forms.
- I am writing.
- He was punished for lying.
- Do you know where John lives?
- I don’t know.
- Do sit down.
- I have completed my work.
- She has acted in a film.
- They had forgotten to send the letter.
- She is writing.
- I am working.
- You have done wrong.
- He did not come in time.
- They have arrived.
- You were wrong. (Principal verb)
- You have done wrong. (Auxiliary verb)
- She is a good singer. (Principal verb)
- She is singing. (Auxiliary verb)